From: Kym Kovan [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, 27 June 2004 2:24 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: Mailing to email list using CF

[snip]

On our mail servers we monitor the IP address of every incoming mail server
or email client that talks to ours and check the frequency of connection. If
we get a burst of many connections in a very short space of time we ban that
IP address for an hour then turn it back on again. It doesn't affect
legitimate connections and if someone is sending many dozen emails at once
(very unusual) then they will eventually get sent in bursts of a few at a
time depending on the thresholds used but we have found that illegitimate
connections, such as a script kiddie scanning for valid POP accounts, will
pick up the banned status and move on to the next mail server in their list
and leave us alone.

[snip]