Hi Mike,

>What Kym does is very important to the users, and worthwhile, however a
>similar thing has bitten a client of mine.   He runs seminars amongst
>university students and school students, who have a lot of hotmail accounts.
>He wants to send (at the users' request!) newsletters, but hotmail does
>something similar to what Kym does - too many emails in a  burst and he gets
>banned.
>
>How can we send emails to several thousand of my client's users, a large
>number of whom are hotmail users?

Two things: send selectively and get onto "White Lists".

For the first option you need to separate out the email addresses by domain name and for hotmail, AOL and MSN, plus others possibly, and send to them in batches rather than a mass in one go. This again can be split up, most email servers will reject too many recipients in one email, AOL is very hot on this, but only some will do the rate-measure technique that I described which is by the number of connections rather than the number of recipients in the one post.

The second option is good if you are a legitimate sender of emails. Most of the big organisations have a list of trusted email servers that they will accept emails from without restriction. Getting on that list is not easy, but possible if you are legit.

--

Yours,

Kym