use some value to represent nothing, like "MNDSJDHSIUDGWI"

and then in your loop, write a conditional so that if e = MNDSJDHSIUDGWI, then output nothing.

hehe
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Chunshen Li (Don)
  To: CF-Talk
  Sent: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 9:26 AM
  Subject: The infamous LIST again!

  SET LIST VALUE:
  <cfset cfList = "a,b,,d">

  <cfloop index="e" list="#cfList#">
  <cfoutput>
  #e#
  </cfoutput>
  </cfloop>

  Three out of the above FOUR list elements would be displayed.
  No, my application requires more complexity than the above example.  The point is, I need a "NO VALUE STRING" for the third element even if it's EMPTY instead of conveniently ignoring it.  An attempt to convert the list to an Array,

  <cfset cfList = "a,b,,d">
  <cfset anArray4List = ListToArray(cfList)>

  <cfset cnt = 0>
  for argument sake, use plain 4 items here
  <cfloop index="e" from=1 to=4>
  <cfset cnt = cnt + 1>
  <cfoutput>
  #anArray4List[cnt]#
  </cfoutput>
  </cfloop>

  Failed to achieve what is intended.  It seems that the ListToArray function converts the 3 elements to an array.

  What's your way to circumvent this problem?

  TIA.