>>How would he know? There are thousands of anti-spam solutions
(millions if you count the variations in configuration) that all
work differently. You think there is somebody who knows for all
of them how they behave?

OK, you pummelled my strawman to death, I'll give you that. But we're not talking about "he" and "all." You have people assigned by Macromedia to look at it. And not every single host of course, but the major ones (AOL, Hotmail, Yahoo, Gmail to start), and the major spam associations used by hosts (spamcop, etc.). Not too difficult really. Then write an atricle up with best practices and the facts. It's the same sort of work Mozilla did when getting banks to support their browser. If Mozilla can do it...

>>There was a time a LONG time ago when CF headers were an issue, but the A/S industry has progressed in sophistication well past this oversimplification.

Do you know that for certain? That's the whole question. I hope it's true. Just the other day a host said on here that it probably still is a check for spam with some. I doubt anyone has any facts to back anything up. I can't tell myself as many ISPs will just toss your email with no bounce if thought to be spam, and there are many complicating issues. Macromedia has an interest in testing and finding out the state of things. The fact that no one really knows means 1) never an issue at all, and/or 2) Macromedia doesn't take it seriously. But it is incredibly difficult to get legitimate website email delivered these days, let alone email a small update list, so they should take it very seriously *if* their great product is inadvertently bumping emails over the spam check threshhold. And you have to start with the *if*. (If not clear, I'm not saying the mailer ID alone will get email tagged as spam, but wondering how and if Coldfusion email characteristics contribute.)

>>You could eliminate that problem is short order by routing your CFMAIL through a qualified mail server.

No, I do route it though my ISP and it still says "X-Mailer: ColdFusion MX Application Server"

Also has the following: "Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>"

>><cfmailparam name="Message-ID" VALUE="<#CreateUUID()[EMAIL PROTECTED]>">
<cfmailparam name="Content-Type" VALUE="#variables.ContentValue#">
<cfmailparam name="Mime-Version" VALUE="1.0">

I don't add them as those are all inserted automatically on my headers that I've checked (CFMX 6.1 thru ISP). I think it's bad practice to add anything that might be detected as a forged header such as the message ID, but I see what you mean if not added at all.

>><cfmailparam name="Reply-To" VALUE="#my.Email#">
-Just so you know, that is a specific mark of spam on some systems. I get some bounces for "no relaying spam" because of that. (I *think* because of that.)

>><link href="" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">

BTW, you should not use external css in an email. Will often fail. Little trick for you: write it into the email as a block and also, before the html tags, add another set of empty <style></style> tags for Hotmail. Hotmail will then zap the empty block and leave the real style block in the email. Voila, css works in Hotmail!