Actually, it counts heavily on coding style. I like lots of space, indents
and the like in my code. You read my code and it's beautiful. This does add
extra material to the html source. Just look at an average archive page (go
to the link at bottom) and you'll see extra space.

  _____

>>it will make the page smaller

It will surely do, but may be not as much as one could think.

When one look at the source code of a page, one can be amazed by the
percentage of white space,
sometimes it looks like 50% of the page is white space.
However the white space is mostly caused by tabs that count for 8 spaces,
and one or two
CR or LF character that look like one entire line. So this 50% of apparent
white space in the page
may be caused by may be 5% only of the characters.