-----Original Message-----
From:  Matt Liotta
Date:  8/17/04 1:42 pm
To:  CF-Talk
Subj:  RE: BLACKSTONE: Software Development Times Article

> the Event Gateway decouples a cfmx app from the browser -- that means:

It does no such thing since a CFML application was never coupled with the
browser in the first place.

> 1) you can run a cf app anywhere that meets the requirements

You can do that now.

> 2) The CF developer will be able to apply the CF advantages to a much,
> much broader range of applications (web and non-web)

You can do that now.

> 3) There are a lot of non-browser things you need to do when setting up
> and running an application (define db tables, prime db with initial
> data, backup databases, backup the site, dump/check-out portions of the
> data for off-line processing, etc).  You could kluge together a
> solution using CFMs and a browser, but many of these repetitive tasks
> don't need (or are hampered by) a browser interface.  Better to have a
> decoupled language with the power of CFML

There are a ton of solutions commercial, free, and open source that take
care of deployment and administration issues already. All of these are
better suited to the task than CFML and will continue to be even if with the
addition of an event gateway. The problem in this case was never that CFML
was hampered by a browser interface, but that CFML is the wrong tool for the
job in the first place.

> CFML isn't perfect (yet) but it is superior to any scripting (and most
> programming) languages that I have used (and I have used a few).  I
> would like to see CFML become the lingua franca of scripting languages.

I disagree. CFML is well suited for what it was designed for. In fact, I
would go as far as to say that CFML is the best scripting language available
for web-based projects. However, don't confuse how wonderful CFML is in the
web world with its potential in other application domains. Each tool has its
place and it is important to understand where CFML fits in.

-Matt