Yes, you can open in a new window with XHTML, just not using the
target="_blank" attribute which is wicked and nasty in XHTML and will get
you banished from the kingdom.  Do not pass go and do not collect $200.

I open external links usually in a new window, and while you can't use the
target attribute, you can do it another way that's valid XHTML1.0 Strict,
but it uses a tiny amount of _javascript_.

To open in a new window using XHTML make your links like this:

[code]
<.a href="" rel="external">Macromedia</a>
[/code]

And you have a tiny piece of _javascript_ that you can have as an external
file referred to in the header (I call mine 'external.js'):

[code]
function externalLinks() {
if (!document.getElementsByTagName) return;
var anchors = document.getElementsByTagName("a");
for (var i=0; i<anchors.length; i++) {
   var anchor = anchors[i];
   if (anchor.getAttribute("href") &&
       anchor.getAttribute("rel") == "external")
     anchor.target = "_blank";
}
}
window.> [/code]