I am currently running CFMX 6.1 Standard Edition with the updater
installed on a Win2k3 server, with IIS, connecting to a SQL Server
2000 db that is on another computer.  The web server itself is a
pretty beefy machine, and it is running one website that is fairly
complex.  The site usually has 200 to 300 concurrent users and
averages about 500,000 page views a day.

To me, this seems like a reasonable amount of traffic for a single
server to handle.  But I am seeing, what I perceive to be, slow
response times on most of the pages.  Myself and the other developers
have gone through each page on the site and optimized all of the cf
and sql and html as much as we can, and things have only improved
slightly.

I was wondering if switching to CF Enterprise would make a difference?
Or, if a switch to Enterprise with a different backend, besides JRun,
would be faster?  Or should I put the money into a new web server or
2, and start running a load balanced site?

I am pretty sure that SQL Server is not the culprit in all of this.
Its average time to return a query, at least according to the CF
performance monitor, is around 35 msec.  And IIS doesn't seem to be at
fault since we are timing the CF code itself, and I can see that it is
slow.  And like I said earlier, we have gone through the code line by
line pruning and tweaking, so I don't think (or I am hoping it isn't)
the code is to blame.

So I am left with it either being a hardware issue, or I am hitting
the limits of CF Standard Edition.

Thanks for any help you can give,
JB McMichael