2-300 users, 500k cf hits/day is not all that much (it's a good amount,
but it's not at all abusive). Also, it depends on how you measure
concurrency. Some people do it by # of cf sessions, some by DB last
activity time, and others by whatever their log stats says. Others would
argue that you can't measure user concurrency, but hits/sec concurrency.
If you talk to CF support engineers, they will ask you about concurrent
hits.

You won't find much better performance with CF Enterprise, unless you're
sending mass amounts of email. I have an app that runs way more traffic
on cf standard, no slowdowns.

What it really probably boils down to is your application. I know you
can't share your code (not even the nasty parts), but that would be
helpful. Perhaps we could help a bit.

It sounds like you need to do some performance tuning. Perhaps
re-evaluate some of the things you do, and they way you go about doing
these things. Reduce the number of database transactions and move
queries to stored procedures. Look for ways around other external
processes like cfhttp, cfftp, cfmail, cfpop, image processing and so on.
If you can make these processes asynchronous, do so. Remove or replace
any CFX tags. Make sure you have all the CFMX patches (though I don't
recommend the post-6.1 updater, we had some sqlserver driver problems).
Turn on cfm page caching options. Begin caching queries wherever possible.

good luck

-nathan strutz
http://www.dopefly.com/