> Prior to CFMX, I've run into all sorts of performance problems with custom
> tags under load, not just ones that did recursion.

Such as the aforementioned memory consumption or something else? I had some
problems in ColdFusion 4.0, though I think (besides not giving up memory)
most were squared away by 4.1. I don't think I deployed anything to (nor
load tested on) 4.5. ColdFusion 5 seemed to be better about giving up
resources that weren't in use.

Over the past few versions of ColdFusion, I load tested various applications
on various configurations. Most used custom tags to some extent. In fact,
the homegrown framework I wrote made extensive use of custom tags, both to
modularize the code and handle permissions. I used (and load tested) apps
written in the framework at various points.

Obviously, custom tags are more overhead than cfinclude. However, I didn't
see any overwhelming performance issues. That's not to say they don't exist,
just that I seemed have gotten lucky...or my load testing was not very
accurate. :)

Ben Rogers
http://www.c4.net
v.508.240.0051