On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 10:29:51 -0500, Adam Churvis
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "While the Plum IDE doesn't contain a diagramming tool of its own, Plum
> Diagrams are easily created using any flowcharting tool from a #2 pencil to
> Visio Enterprise -- use the tool of your choice."

That helps, yes. Thanx.

> You know, Sean, I don't like the name "Plum IDE," anymore really, because it
> isn't a traditional IDE.  I wanted to call it "Plum Generator" at one time.

I think that would have saved a lot of this confusion. Plum isn't what
most people think of as an IDE, it's more of a control center for the
generator and framework setup. Plum Generator is fine. Plum Control
Center might also be fine. Both names would have set very different
expectations and focused people on the configuration and
administration aspects of the Plum concept I think.

> Actually, we show people how Plum's implementation of the ColdFusion
> Application Framework is somewhat different from what they're used to.  It's
> structured in such a way that all functionality is neatly compartmentalized
> between global, modular, and environmental behaviors, and it makes
> deployment across development/staging/production environments as simple as
> possible.

Hmm, I guess I just thought this was everyone's best practice already.
The Macromedia Web Team CFMX Coding Guidelines have talked about this
sort of thing for years (our first internal draft was over three years
ago although I can't remember when we put it up on LiveDocs). I guess
I'm making assumptions about how a lot of CFers build their apps.

Is this global / modular / environmental split not common for folks?

> This may sound like marketing drool, but it was actually our positioning
> statement: "Plum was designed for developers who want to rapidly prototype
> and build solid ColdFusion applications in minimum time."

*grin* It's a little... vague...

> Sean, I'm sorry if I accused you of trying to talk Plum down yesterday.  I
> was wrong.  It really appears that you are only trying to learn more about
> Plum; it just sounded a bit confrontational.

No problem. You guys have a lot invested in Plum so you're bound to be
a bit touchy about perceived criticism.

I think we're all getting a much better handle on what you guys
intended Plum to do for folks which is good for everyone involved.
--
Sean A Corfield -- http://www.corfield.org/
Team Fusebox -- http://www.fusebox.org/

-- Margaret Atwood