From: Steve Bernard [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, August 31, 2000 4:25 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: What I want in CF (was: Learning ASP)

MSXML.DLL, right? This will work on NT but, doesn't help *NIX users. I feel
that an XML parser would be beneficial enough that it should be included in
CF. Right now only a portion of the developer base can make use of
MSXML.DLL. There's the OS issue and the fact that the developers need open
access to CFOBJECT. These two things will limit a lot of developers,
especially those in remotely hosted environments. Also, MSXML, while
steadily improving, is NOT 100% W3C XML 1.0 compliant. Version 3.0 Beta, the
most recent, is approx. 95-97% compliant so things look good but, it still
has some issues to resolve relating to non-existent or malformed unused
entities, attribute-value normalization, end-of-line handling, and reporting
validity constraints when running in non-validating mode. Ok, so MSXML isn't
100 compliant, so what? Well, if I use MSXML and you use Xerces (Apache
Project's XML parser) we may come up with different results. I'd rather have
everyone using one parser that is 90% compliant than 10 parsers, each of
which produces slightly different results.

Steve