> > 1. The problem with developing web applications isn't really
> > learning a new language, but learning a new programming model.
> > Traditional VB programming and ASP programming using VBScript
> > share a language, but not much else. It can be difficult for
> > even experienced programmers to learn and understand the HTTP
> > application model ...
>
> I think the reverse can also be true, the difference between
> "web pages" and "applications" can be quite considerable, a
> programmer coming from a more traditional client/server background
> may have a more thorough grounding in exceptions, error handling,
> transactions, locking, SQL etc. than a "web developer"...

I'd agree that prior knowledge about all of those things is a very good
thing. It's not the only thing, though. To be a good web developer, you have
to know about programming in general, and you have to know about the HTTP
application programming model in particular. Many beginning web developers
don't know too much about programming in general, so they have to learn that
stuff, but they may have a better understanding of the model of HTTP
applications, and the strictures of that model.

In either case, the prior statement came from a "CF vs ASP" discussion, and
the purpose of the statement was to point out that learning the programming
language wasn't the biggest problem in learning web development, but rather
that learning the model was the big problem.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
voice: (202) 797-5496
fax: (202) 797-5444