From: mayo [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 29 December 2004 02:13
To: CF-Talk
Subject: shopping cart, session variables - best practices

I'm setting up a shopping cart for a jewelry store.

I'm curious, what is performance limit for storing data in session
variables?

The following are lists:

Item No (itemID used in check out)
Item Qty (in case someone wants more than one)
Item Price
Item Description (most descriptions about 50 characters. ex: "Ruby and
gold
drop-earrings")

Most customers will not go above 3 or 4 items so I'm not concerned for
this
project.

Just curious in general. At what point would storing data impact
performance?

Also, is updating session variables all that much quicker than updating
database. For example a customer wants two pairs of a particular earring
instead of one.

-- gil