Hey Tony,

It's actually L(esser)GPL, which is more lax than the full-blown GPL:

http://www.opensource.org/licenses/lgpl-license.php

A closed-source, commercial app can use a LGPL library  in its
software (as long as they include the library's source or make a way
to get source), but the app can't be a work "based on" the library.

There's sure to be a better explanation of it than what I just gave out there.

-Joe