It costs a lot of money because it is aimed at the enterprise space -
where two rules apply:

1) Almost nobody pays full price. Companies buying this kind of stuff
have purchasing departments to beat the price down, and usually buy
several licenses for several products, not to mention things like
support and consulting,  so they get all kinds of discounts. Flex is in
the same pricing area as weblogic, oracle, all that kind of stuff.

2) No matter what the software and hardware cost, it's nothing combined
to the people. I've seen small - well, medium sized (5-8 people) -
projects, and calculated that they were costing more than fifty thousand
euros a month, just in manpower.

So basically you get imaginary number marketing. Is it worth 12k (let
alone 18k) USD? Who knows. The real question is.. is this the most
appropriate way to sell flex? As you pointed out, putting this product
out of the reach of their most vocal proponents might not be a brilliant
idea...

/t