It should be noted that Martin's actually talking about getting strong
enough with CSS to understand when you'll need certain workarounds, what
styles will work when and port across to other browsers, etc.  He's also
bringing up understanding of Standards (ref:
http://print.google.com/print?id=RBtltKDulrcC&prev=http://print.google.c
om/print%3Fq%3Djeffrey%2Bzeldman&pg=1&sig=yKmjRKvg-LB3bsO5Yg4DBoEP4Ow
"Designing with Web Standards" by Jeffrey Zeldman), and I think the
approach is a little pie in the sky.

Ultimately, he's mostly correct, but to be fair, not entirely and I
don't want to turn this into an argument/back and forth discussion--but
everthing that you need to do will have a lot of factors, such as
complexity, skill sets of other developers, etc.  While XHTML & CSS
standards (per Zeldman, at least) are an absolutely phenominal notion, I
do not believe that their usage is entirely something logical in the
marketplace as of yet--but that doesn't mean we shouldn't all strive to
understand better, it just means that the likelyhood of finding yourself
in a project that works that way would be rather.. Diminished.

And yes, the argument is there for cost savings, etc. but the first time
you find yourself spending 2 days trying to make something work across
browsers using only XHTML and CSS when you could have performed the same
task with a table in 2 minutes...  Well, let's just say that the cost
benefit starts to also... Diminish.

It's a noble effort and a great, great idea and it's great to have
people driving for it, but until these types of standards become
mainstream and we're all learning them as fundamentals, getting there
will be slow going.

But please, take my comments with a grain of salt.  I've found that
there are many things you can do by knowing standards better to improve
development--even if you don't use them 100%.  At the same time, take
anyone else's comment with a grain of salt that promise you all of
this--but wait, there's more! If you call in now, you'll also get this
great knife that can cut through aluminum cans--and more.  Simply put,
it's just not all the way there, but getting another person on board
always helps.

Russ