Whenever possible code to standards then change (and comment!) for browser
issues.

> - What's an accurate, up to date source of info on html, css, and js
> capabilities and quirks for a lot of different browsers and versions?

The JavaScript and DHTML guides at MSDN.microsoft.com are pretty good and
inform you of which features are in which specs (but not how to code for the
other browsers).

> - It doesn't appear that you can have multiple versions of IE installed on
> the same machine. If you have to support them, do you actually have
> separate
> machines whose only purpose is to be equipped with IE 4, 5, and 6, maybe
> even 3? How else can you test?

MS (formerly Connectix) Virtual PC or VMWare are absolute god sends for
this.  Using them you can install any x86 OS (all DOS/Windows, Linux, BeOS,
Lindows, etc) to software only "Virtual PCs".  You can then copy virtual PCs
(which are really just files on your hard disk) to easily create test
platforms.

For example you might install Windows 2000 to a virtual PC.  You then make a
copy of that and install IE 5.5 then another copy and install IE 6.0.  Now
you can run all of them as windows on your host machine for testing.

The only thing you can't do (since this is  x86 emulator) is test Mac OSs.
There's still no really good solution for that other than getting a Mac and
then you're still left with multi-booting or multiple machines for testing
multiple OSes (I REALLY WANT a PPC emulator!)

> - Do you have mac, linux and pc browser test machines?

Personally, no.  I use Virtual PC for PC and Linux and trust to the graces
of friends for Macs (since I can't see spending the money and dedicating the
space for one personally).

> - For general public sites, what do you consider a reasonable list of
> browsers and versions that you need to support?

Depends on the site... right now I would say on the PC IE 6, 5.5 and 5 and
Firefox 1.0 as browsers should be the minimum.  However you might want to
add earlier versions of Mozilla and IE-based browsers.  AOL testing would be
good as well, if you can, although it still uses the IE engine it does
modify it.

One the Mac it looks like IE 5.5 is losing ground steadily to Safari while
on Linux Firefox seems to be king.

Jim Davis