>>- Do you serve different style sheets or pages depending on the
browser and

>>version? How many?

Sometimes, you have to. Mozilla sticks closer to the standard and IE has some
oddities for which you must find workarounds.

>>- Are you coding to W3C standards?

If you need some nice functionalities and powerfull client interface, I would
say this is almost impossible: the W3C standards are just too dumb. Even
Mozilla has added features identical or similar to those in MSIE and they are
not in the standards.
The problem with the W3C is that the documentation is even worse than the
standards. At Mozilla.org, they claim they don't need documentation, because
Mozilla strictly sticks to the standards and they refer to the W3C docs.
First it is not true, because Mozilla has plenty of features not in the
standards, including HTML editing functions compatible with MSIE, and this is
not documented, secondly the W3C docs are simply unreadable, written in a
completely abstrus meta language, with no example ever. I wish there was a
standard about how to write documentation about standards,... hmmm there is
probabily one, and that's why the W3C stinks so much ;-)

>>Which one(s)?

Ah ah, that's a damn good question. When you visit the W3C docs pages, there
are always half a dozen of versions, drafts, proposal, etc. You never know
which one is THE standard, nor you can know WHICH one Mozilla is so proud to
stick to.

>>How much does that actually
>>help your pages be more universally compatible?

If you stick to the standards, you'll probabily be more compatible, but with
much more effort and less power.

>>- What's an accurate, up to date source of info on html, css, and js
>>capabilities and quirks for a lot of different browsers and versions?

Ok, have a look at the "IE emulator for Mozilla":
http://webfx.eae.net/dhtml/ieemu/
I know I will make Moz fans mad, but Mozilla is missing quite a few handy tools
available  in IE. However it has facilities that allow to emulate them. Using
this emulator, one can write IE code that will run on Mozilla as well, even the
ubiquitous document.all collection. (not that I'm in favour od the use of it,
but it could save lots of hours of work just making old scripts compatible).

- do you actually have separate machines whose only purpose is to be equipped
with IE 4, 5, and 6, maybe even 3?

You can forget about anything below 5.5: according to
http://www.upsdell.com/BrowserNews/stat.htm IE 4 is less than 1%, and IE3 is
not even listed.