They are IE specific - but the key is that they're VERY clear where they're
IE specific.  Basically nearly anything in those specs that claim the
property or object as being part of the W3C spec can be used in FireFox.

> > For example you might install Windows 2000 to a virtual PC.  You
> > then make a
> > copy of that and install IE 5.5 then another copy and install IE 6.0.
> Now
> > you can run all of them as windows on your host machine for testing.
>
> Good idea. Kinda funny that the only way to have multiple versions of IE
> installed is to have multiple versions of the entire OS. If this is my dev
> laptop, I'd also need all my other dev tools and settings. Pain in the .

No... although I might be missing something.  The key is that you're Virtual
PC is running as an application on your Dev laptop.  Your personal settings
and tools are only installed to the host OS, not each virtual PC.

The nice things here is that your Virtual PC is then much closer to a
"normal user" in that you can run it with default settings and such.  You
don't want to test using a machine configured by a developer (we tend to
fiddle and change browser settings most people would never touch).

> > > - Do you have mac, linux and pc browser test machines?
> >
> > Personally, no.  I use Virtual PC for PC and Linux and trust to the
> graces
> > of friends for Macs (since I can't see spending the money and
> > dedicating the space for one personally).
>
> That new $500 mac changes this a bit though, maybe.

Not so much for me.  That $500 dollar machine is really barebones: you need
to add things (like a monitor, keyboard and such) and it still requires
dedicated space (us apartment dwellers have space at a premium).

That doesn't even consider software (even just the OS upgrades which are
pretty common and pretty pricey).  But of course you'd have to pay for that
with an emulator anyway so it doesn't really count.

It is a good deal, but when you can either a fully outfitted PC for the same
price or an equivalent bare-bones PC for less than half it's still not very
attractive (at least to me).

Even then I'm still not sure if that entry-level machine has the oomph to
run multiple instances of the OS (for complete testing I'd really like to
run OS 9, OS X, OS X Panther, etc separately).

But it still seems that for me to get a good Mac testbed set up at home
it'll be at least $700-$1000 (depending on how much the OSes cost) even with
the Mac-Mini.  And, of course, I'd still have to find a place for it.  ;^)

PearPC (http://pearpc.sourceforge.net/) is promising for this, but is still
really flakey.  I'd really like to see something from IBM or Apple directly
on this...

Jim Davis