On Feb 6, 2005, at 2:20 PM, Jim Davis wrote:

> I actually think that the Mini look very nice - but in my case it
> would be
> exclusively for testing Safari.  I'm personally very happy with my
> Windows
> PCs so I just wouldn't be using it for much else.

Prolly doesn't make much sense for you, then

> As for the capabilities I agree completely that if you don't have them
> then
> it's a great deal - but I already do.  Wireless LAN, Bluetooth, DVD
> burning,
> Home Theater connectivity, etc - I've already got it all and am happy
> with
> it.
>
> Since all of the people I "support" (parents, grandparents, children,
> etc)
> are all Windows as well

Yes, if you've don all the heavy lifting to create compatible systems,
that do what you want & need, it doesn't make sense to disrupt that
with a foreign object-- that would just be extra work-- I'd come down
with the same answer.

> - if somebody new to computing came along (and I
> didn't have to support them) I would definitely suggest it.  My
> standing
> rule on this is always "buy whatever the person you're going to be
> bugging
> for help has".

Can't agree more.  But from the perspective of giving support, I can
claim "I know nothing about PCs (Win, Linux, etc), though I do-- so
sorry but I can't help you.  Harder, though if you recommended the
machine :)

> The unit is small - but a keyboard, mouse and screen do take up space
> (and
> precious, precious power outlets).  If I had my own home (or didn't
> have two
> kids) I could easily find room - but with four people living in an
> apartment
> with only one closet space is at a premium.

I have 3 grandkids 5,6 9.  They currently all share the new iMac.  I am
considering building (I have a ShopSmith & some woodworking tools)
little shelves, boxes really, about 7" deep that screw on the wall &
hold  the mini, 17" DVI TV, KB, power buss, some small speakers,
better, headphones and some space for CD storage,

Each kid's room would have an integrated DVD, player, TV, computer,
Music, Internet access) all in one hopefully bullet-proof unit
(physically & electronically)

> Lastly it's also just that if I were to have an extra $500 to spend
> there
> are a lot of other things that would help more than having a Mac test
> bed.
> For me, personally, the cost just isn't worth the gain.

Hear! Hear!

> That being said I'm DYING for a client to request Mac testing so that
> I can
> add a Mac Mini to the project cost.  I really do think it's a slick
> little
> beastie...  ;^)

it is !

Dick

P.S. it is Feb 6 and 60 degrees in the (SF) Bay area (doors and windows
all open).  I've been in (Bah-sten) Bay Area in Feb, slightly cooler!
But we went to HAAVAAD and got a bugh-ugh at Big Elsie's :)  Going to
watch some football!