[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Rick
>
> That's an interesting post, in particular the fact that despite Oracle and
> MySQL being free (for your organization), you are  moving to SQL server
> *because its easier to maintain*.

That's a lot of it, but it's also been faster in almost all of our
tests, and it's easier to back up and restore (keeping in mind that none
of us are DBAs nor do any of us want to be DBAs).

Doing security updates in Oracle is a pain.  Doing backups and restores
in Oracle is a pain.  The learning curve on Oracle is just way too high
- I'd rather be coding.

MySQL backups are pretty easy, as are MySQL restores.  Security updates
are also pretty easy.   At least for me, because I'm kind of a command
line guy anyway.  But for the others in my department, it probably
wouldn't be.  My boss always says "What if you get hit by a bus".

And MySQL simply didn't perform as well as SQL Server or Oracle.

  - Rick