It's decades since anyone asked me why I left, or why I was leaving.

In my earlier life as a middle manager, I did a lot of hiring and I
found it was not productive at all to ask why someone left their last
job.    Either they'd flat-out lie or I'd be subjected to half an hour
of whining about how rotten their boss was, how their co-workers were
picking on them etc ..   I was never interested in that anyway.   If
they didnt get on where they were, I didnt care.  The important
question was . 'would they get on well with us?'.   There are much
better ways to evaluate that.

Any interviewer who asks "why are you leaving?" is either
inexperienced at interviewing candidates, or not very smart, and is
going to have employees running rings around them.

For those who have trouble answering the question, the standard
response looked for by most interviewers is something like "well I
enjoyed it there, and the work was quite challenging, but I'm looking
for new challenges, something that will stretch my skills a bit,
expand my opportunities, and I think (insert name of company) offers
these sorts of opportunities better than where I am now."

It's inoffensive, doesnt give anything away, doesnt whine about your
previous employer,  and if you are leaving because the boss caught you
with your hand in the till or up his daughters dress, you havent told
any lies.    And it gives the interviewer no useful information at
all.

As to the original questoin .... before you consider quitting,  I'd
say look for opportunities where you are.  It's often easier to get a
job at your current company than a new company.   If you tell your
boss (or their boss or however high up you dare go) that you are
looking for something new and more challenging, any manager worth his
salt will grab hold of you with both hands.    Any manager needs
people who want to succeed.    They'll love you if you go to the right
person - someone who isnt in 'CYA'* mode.

(* CYA=Cover Your Ass)

Cheers
Mike Kear
Windsor, NSW, Australia
Certified Advanced ColdFusion Developer
AFP Webworks
http://afpwebworks.com
ColdFusion, PHP, ASP, ASP.NET hosting from AUD$15/month