Correct me if i'm wrong and chances are it may be the case, but i
think i remember reading that google doesn't base its ranking on index
page alone. It weighs up the entire site and then asses its ranking
capabilities.

If you were to have a sitemap and it spiders that page and you *hide*
that link from a user (by color if need be) then in fact you achieve
the same results.

I could be off on this one but thats what i interpreted from Google Hacks.

eg: MossyBlog tends to have more hits show up based on relevant pages vs index?