And all those people said it was MY fault.   They implied I was
deficient in not being able to make it run.  '... I've installed it
dozens of times and it worked ok for me ... " they said, the implied
criticism being that I must be somehow stupid or have pennypinched on
my hardware if i couldn't install it myself.

So, all you nay-sayers,  just because it installed perfectly for you,
doesnt mean it must install perfectly for everyone.

And I still say Macromedia could have done a far better job in
providing links to info about what to do if something didnt go right
in installing the software.   I say they'd do well to consider this
now for people who might encounter this problem in the future.

Cheers
Mike Kear
Windsor, NSW, Australia
Certified Advanced ColdFusion Developer
AFP Webworks
http://afpwebworks.com
ColdFusion, PHP, ASP, ASP.NET hosting from AUD$15/month