John,

Yes, it is available in a font.  The font is called PDF417, I believe.  This
sounds like the direction I may want to go in.  Can you elaborate on how I
could do that?

We have ActivePDF installed on our server, could I do it using that?

However, we can't just take plain text and apply the font to it.  The plain
text gets encoded into a series of binary "words" I believe. (I think it's
the right terminology.... a binary string of 16 bits).  Some guy came up
with a formula that does the encoding.  The formula itself is open source,
and there's a SourceForge project out there, that claims to convert a text
string to the 2D barcode.  I downloaded it and ran their sample app, and all
it does is convert the text into WingDings.

That was one dead-end.

Next, I found the website of some French dude that posted the entire formula
for creating 2D barcodes.  But since I'm not a PhD in Discrete Math, nor in
Computer Science, it was way above my understanding/abilities/comprehension.

Otherwise, I believe we may be able to use Coldfusion to generate the
barcode if we can decipher the formula.

Here's the guy's website:

http://grandzebu.net/informatique/codbar-en/pdf417.htm
<http://grandzebu.net/informatique/codbar-en/pdf417.htm>

He too claims to have a tool to encode plain text into a barcode.  I
downloaded it and ran it and all it did was convert my text into WingDings.

So I don't know how much we can trust the formula he posts.  However it
looks confusing enough to be trusted :S

Thanks,

Ali