> I told the guy who asked me to call MM himself to get the
> skinny, but now I am curious. As  usual I am a bit slow, and
> a confused mind says "no" so is this accurate...
>
> 1. I buy CF EE, write an app, make a war 2. I want to sell it
> to Joe Blow 3. Joe Blow likes the app, and wants to buy it
> ----
> 4. Joe Blow, who is running tomcat only, needs to buy a CF EE
> license to run my war in production or 4. Joe Blow, who is
> running tomcat only, can use the war without ever talking to MM
>
> I think it's the latter, but I can't seem to get it (as soon
> as I see license and serial number I start getting confused ;-D)

Given the above, here are your choices:

1. You omit the serial number when creating your EAR/WAR. Mr. Blow would
then have to purchase his own CFMX Enterprise license to deploy your EAR/WAR
for production use. If he doesn't enter a serial number, the EAR/WAR will
essentially be a CFMX trial version for 30 days, after which it reverts to
Developer Edition.

2. You enter your serial number when creating your EAR/WAR. Mr. Blow would
then be able to deploy the EAR/WAR directly to production. However, you
would then have to cease using that serial number with your own copy of CFMX
Enterprise, as you would essentially have sold him your license. If you
continue using the serial number for your own server, you would be violating
the terms of your license, and Macromedia product resellers like me would
track you down, skin you alive and make you into one of those "bearskin"
rugs or something. I just saw "Sin City" last weekend, so I'm kind of in
that mindset right now I guess.

3. Before creating your EAR/WAR, you get a valid CFMX Enterprise license
from Mr. Blow, or on behalf of Mr. Blow. You enter that serial number when
creating your EAR/WAR. Mr. Blow can then deploy it directly to production,
and that license would legally belong to him.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/