 From: "Andy Mcshane" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, April 21, 2005 1:03 PM
To: CF-Talk <cf-talk@houseoffusion.com>
Subject: RE: translating websites

I have done exactly this using XML. All of the English text that appears on my
site is held within tables in a SQL database. I have a Coldfusion interface for
these tables that allows access to this text for translating into any language
that I choose. From this same interface I then generate XML files for each
language using the following naming convention, English.xml, Spanish.xml, etc.
In my coldfusion page, where I want to display the relevant text I place a call
to a translate function which does a search of the XML file that I specify and
returns the appropriate text. This means that I have only one Coldfusion page
that can be seen in many different languages. It is a little more complex than
I have stated here but this is one method to do it. My site is a multi-lingual
site and I display the required text based on the language that a user
specifies. The only drawback that I have so far found with this method is that
you sometimes get your text display screwed up depending on the size of the
translated text, but this is a very small problem indeed, but I would suggest
XML as a good solution to your requirements.