If I can hop in here...Not that I know anything more about this than
Paul... Far from it, but...

I did a CF-based language file swapper-thing (not xml.  just
name/value pair text files that get read into structs which contain
all screen output text).   Its easy to have the mechanism to do the
language swapping.  The problem is maintaining the various languages.
Lets say you have support for 10 languages.  You add an 'Are You
Sure?' dialog to an existing element.  You have to go in and make all
of your language files reflect this addition.  Life sucks very quickly
trying to maintain that over, lets say, the course of a major version
update.

What Paul is talking about, I think, is using or building something
that at least partially automates and regulates this task.  I built a
translation system that holds everything in a db and presents a
web-based interface.  If one term is added it gets added to all sets.
The view for each term is shown in all languages.  You publish all
language sets in an admin procedure and if something is missing a
term, red flags pop up on screen.  I'm sure it can be done better.
Just what I cam up with to deal with it.

--
--mattRobertson--
Janitor, MSB Web Systems