Just a few thoughts here....

> On 5/12/05, Rick Root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> These are the reasons why I wrote my own blog app as opposed to using
> Ray's or buying Jake's:
>
>   - Multiple blogs in a single database / file structure

BlogCFC handles multiple blogs with one DSN.

>   - I like free =)  BlogCFC is free, but BlogFusion is not.

BlogFusion has a minimum price of $5 for personal use.  Close enough
to free for me.  I decided to send Jake a $30 gift certificate in lieu
of payment, which seems like a reasonable offer to me.

>   - I wanted more search engine friendly URLS.  You know, URL's
>     that don't contain UUIDs =)

BlogCFC does have a ?mode=alias&alias=MyBlogEntry type of short URLs.
I think a good enhancement would be to default to the alias for the

>   - Integrated HTML editor for posting

I used to use SOEditor when I was on CFXML_Blog for blog entries and
comments.  Had a lot of complaints from people who didn't want to have
to go through the wait of loading SOEditor.  And for adding blogs I
found it mangled my posts more than I wanted by adding &13; characters
overlapping tag pairs, so I won't be going back to that anytime soon.

>   - Integrated file manager for uploading images and stuff.

Yep that would be helpful.

>   - More security options to prevent comment spam.
>     (options to requireCAPTCHA for commenting and/or
>      user registration)

That would be helpful.

>   - photo blogs

That would be awesome!  Since I bought BlogFusion which includes a
photoblog, I might stick to BlogCFC for regular blogging and add
another photo blog seperately for photos with BlogFusion.

>   - support multiple CFML engines *AND* multiple databases.

I think BlogCFC runs BD, although I haven't tested.

> Like Ray's blog, BlogCFM is also pretty much entirely CFC based, with no
> database queries outside of the CFC files.. so you could also build your
> own front end.

Basic Aura skin is easy, but changing styles, colors, graphics is tedious.
CFXML_Blog had a list of user-contributed skins to switch to in its
admin interface.

> Now, BlogCFM 1.01 covers pretty much all of those things fully although
> automating the multiple-blog functionality will take a little more work.
>   So I've achieved my goals.

How about support for enclosures? RSS 2.0, mp3 uploads and management?

> Now I need to make it prettier and a little bit easier.  I'm going to
> try to entirely remove the need for a coldfusion mapping, which would
> make installation a lot easier for most people.  I also want to add a
> few new features, like disabling commenting on entries after X days,

That would be a useful feature, but best left optional for the blog admin.

> changing the date of entries, hidden entries (ie, entries that don't
> show up on the index but do appear in archives, etc)...
>
> And so on.

For categories with hundreds of entries, the category view should have
pagination so you can view X many from a category at a time and page
through them.

> BlogCFM is open-source under the BSD license (ie, you can do almost
> anything you want with it), and I'm using CFOPEN for project tracking..
> bug tracking, feature requests, etc...

Good luck and thanks for listening!

--
Steven Erat