From: Keith Gaughan [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, June 15, 2005 7:49 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: Transaction History File

Andy wrote:

> I am thinking about creating a transaction history for auditing, repairing
> and undoing.  I am thinking about using XML since this would be easy to
> create and would adjust naturally to the addition of new attributes.
> However, this would make the file sizes larger.
>
> What are everyone's thoughts about

> 1.  Keeping a transaction log

Good!

> 2.  Keeping it in XML format

Not so good. My objection here is that appending to the log would be
prohibitively expensive. If you're doing logging, the format of your
file needs to be something you can append to without needing to do
any messing with the rest of the file. Because XML requires a root
element, this makes using it for log files a bit impractical.

However, If your log file was I-Can't Believe-It's-Not-XML ("most of the
XML goodness, but without the root element"), it could work. Example:

XML:

    <stuff>
        <foo bugs="babs">
            <bar>Fred</bar>
            <baz>Barney</baz>
        </foo>
        <foo bugs="babs">
            <bar>Fred</bar>
            <baz>Barney</baz>
        </foo>
    </stuff>

ICBIN-XML:

    <foo bugs="babs">
        <bar>Fred</bar>
        <baz>Barney</baz>
    </foo>
    <foo bugs="babs">
        <bar>Fred</bar>
        <baz>Barney</baz>
    </foo>

Changing ICBIN-XML into XML is simply a matter of prepending and
appending the root element markup.

K.