On 6/20/05, Johnny Le <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> When people say "shared scope variables" or "persistent scope variables", do
> they mean exactly the same thing or is there a difference in definitions
> between "shared scope variables" and "persistent scope variables"?

<rant>
This is one of my pet peeves about CFers... The classic IT definition
of persistent means: if you switch off your system and switch it back
on, the data is still there. Client variables might just squeak into
that definition but the other shared scopes certainly do not!

I don't know quite where the idea came from that these scopes were
"persistent" (no doubt early Allaire documentation?) but the mis-use
has persisted (sic) unfortunately... In an effort to get CF taken more
seriously by other IT professionals, I try to jump on this mis-use of
terminology every time I see it...
</rant>

Databases are persistent, memory is not. Both databases and memory can
be shared, however.
--
Sean A Corfield -- http://corfield.org/
Team Fusebox -- http://fusebox.org/