The hourly nature of the high CPU sounds like client variable purging.

You could try turning off client variable purge for a few hours to see
if that changes the behavior.  If it does, then that means that your
client variable entries in the datebase (or registry, ugh) might be
extremely high, so might want to write a custom script to purge a
bunch of the older ones instead of letting CF skim the top off them.

See also:

CFMX 6.1
http://www.macromedia.com/go/tn_19279

CFMX 6.1 Updater 1