We appear to just be going around in circles on this one. If you have a
query that selects the sequence next value then you do not need a
CFTRANSACTION but you do have to remember to always select the next value
since I'd assume this uses no trigger to handle it on any other inserts?
What do you do for mass inserts from another table, guess just a little
addition to the SQL and really no biggie on that one.
 Or you take the approach of never inserting anything manually into the "ID"
column and just little a trigger/sequence handle it. That means using
CFTRANSACTION so that after you insert it you do the SELECT MAX(ID) AS NEWID
.... Since there seems to be no adverse reason to using CFTRANSACTION unless
in some of the already noted situations which seem more out of the norm than
the norm, then this method just to me seems like an easier approach.