Bobby Hartsfield wrote:
> I haven't seen the previous thread you mentioned but the "easiest" way to
> secure specific templates is to have them all located under a central
> location like /secure or /administrative or whatever.
>
> In the top level of that directory put an Application.cfm that includes your
> "security script" so it is included in every template under that directory.
> (You can also just include the parent application.cfm to bring any settings
> in without duping any code.)

In my case, every file would need to have the file id associated with it
so I'd just use the main application file.  I like the include idea if I
did have to break it off for some reason.

> If you don't do it this way, and you have mixed templates (some secure some
> not) all scattered under one root, I don't see a way around including your
> script in every page that you want secured (other than querying for it's ID
> to see if it is secure, but why waste the time effort or processing).

Like above, I'll be keeping track of every file so that won't be an
issue as far as some being secure and non-secure.  I guess a better
wording would be keeping track of files.  I really want every file in
the system to have a unique identifier, regardless if it's public or not.

> If you already have it logically laid out like you want and you're only
> concern is rather or not the cgi.script_name will fail on you, don't worry.
> It won't.

Ok, that's cool to know.  And this CGI.script_name variable *always*
refers to the file that's being called, correct?  I know this should be
the case, but I just want to do a sanity check.  This *is* my security
system so I want to make sure it's foolproof.

I think what's going to be trick is converting the script_name to a path
for cffile to understand.  I'll have to look at the file/path functions
available and hopefully I can extract what I need.  Should be interesting...

> Here is a good trick for unique template IDs
> #hash(cgi.script_name)#

You know, I thought of something like this.  I was going to use the
path/filename as the identifier, but then I'd run into the problem like
you mentioned below:

> If that is your templates uniqueid, there is no need to make sure it is set
> at the top of every page.
>
> Once those hashes are stored in the database, the only thing that would pose
> a problem would be moving or renaming the template.

exactly.  I want this system to be dynamic and flexible.  I want to be
able to move a file anywhere under the root and have the system always
be able to identify it, regardless of filename or location.

> I hope any of that helps (or even makes sense).

definately.  Thanks!