> The problem with having the query come directly from ColdFusion
> was that the query was different for each foreign key, which
> required the SQL server to compile a new query plan (which
> could be thousands of plans that would get cycled out of memory
> as new ones were compiled), which took far longer than using
> one plan (from the SP) that was cached.
>
> Using CFQUERYPARAM on that variable may have helped, but I never
> tested it that way. I just went directly from dynamic query to
> stored procedure and the CF page response time went down
> significantly because it no longer had to wait so long for
> the SQL server to process the queries.

If you'd used CFQUERYPARAM, you'd have gotten the same results. When you use
CFQUERYPARAM, you build a prepared statement, which will create a single
execution plan that can be used by different invocations of the query with
different input values.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/