From: Munson, Jacob [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 21 November 2005 15:29
To: CF-Talk
Subject: RE: CF Hosting

> Never, we don't do linux as we are a windows house.
> The majority of people use windows anyway, especially for CF.

I'll grant that most CF users use Windows, and even that most people use
Windows.  But in web servers it is a slim margin.  Netcraft reports that
~71% of web servers run apache:
http://survey.netcraft.com/Reports/200511/byserver/index.html
I found an article that stated that 50% of Apache is on Linux:
http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reports/6065/1/
IIS has ~20% of the web server market share (Netcraft).  If you do the math,
putting the Apache Windows installs together with the IIS installs, it adds
up to 55% of the web servers in total.  So, somewhere between 40-45% of the
web is not on Windows (who knows what OS all the 'other' web servers are
on?).

The majority of the web is on Windows, but choosing to be a "windows house",
you are cutting out 40-45% of your potential market.  If you had 10
customers come up to you tomorrow and ask for hosting, you'd have to turn
away 4 or 5 of them because you don't offer Linux.  From my experience, most
of the hosts out there give their customers an option between Windows or
Linux. Again, I realize that the large majority of CF sites are on Windows,
so if you are focusing on CF hosting, then Windows is a good bet.  :)

[INFO] -- Access Manager:
This transmission may contain information that is privileged, confidential
and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If you are not the
distribution, or use of the information contained herein (including any
reliance thereon) is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you received this transmission
in error, please immediately contact the sender and destroy the material in
its entirety, whether in electronic or hard copy format.  Thank you.   A2