Correct, that's what I'm trying to do -- disable session management entirely
for bots so that thousands of sessions dont get needlessly created and
destroyed every 15 minutes.

Just to put this in perspective as to why I'm experimenting with this, Google
has over 500,000 pages from my site indexed.  Add in Google Adwords on a large
number of those pages, and Google is literally hammering the site 24 hrs a day.
 This is great for driving traffic, but the overhead of maintaining state for
each one of these bot requests seems wasteful to me.

The problem is that as soon as you disable session management, all pages that
reference session variables (even inside of scope existence checks) throw
errors.

So it doesn't look like there's a way to me of disabling session management for
certain cgi.http_user_agents, yet having it enabled for non-bots.