On 12/30/05, Tim Claremont <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> It seems to me that placing a CFINCLUDE referencing a navigation bar at the
> top of each
> and every one of my 2400 cfm pages in my intranet app is more bass-ackwards
> than
> merely placing the code in question in the Application.cfm.

Yes, that would be crazy, but needing to do so in the first place
would be an indicator of a bad system design.

Do it right, and you only have one main display template for each
major section of your site (or one for the whole thing).  Thats the
page where the header include goes.  If you have other variants which
require display (say, for example, a login screen or a
'you-forgot-to-fill-in-the-form-field' page) then you would re-use the
header (and footer) templates there as well (but not the menu).  What
you wind up with is a structured approach to building a page display
that doesn't rely on workarounds, is light on resources blah blah.

Someone mentioned dumping pages into a subfolder where that subfolder
has a blank /Application.cfm and OnRequestEnd.cfm as blocks.  Thats
great so long as you aren't doing anything that needs any
session-specific information, or application-var-based settings like
paths, or root urls, or user login info, or time-zone settings or...
For me that would be a mighty short list.  If the application is a
simple one then OK, you have a workaround, but one that is going to
have to be reinvented if you decide to do anything that isn't, dare I
say it, rudimentary.

I guess it boils down to always choosing an architecture where you
don't have any obvious ceilings to bump into.  (BTW I am not a
proponent of Fusebox as an answer to the problem).

Now, if I were walking into a job that someone else had built over 10
years and was stuck with the architecture, I wouldn't rebuild it for
the sake of doing it, but I sure wouldn't build anything else like
that if I could help it.

--
--mattRobertson--
Janitor, MSB Web Systems