Yes, it was bad design, but nevertheless a design.  This is how they meant
for things to be.  They though it was a good idea...

This is why it's not a security patch that forces this upon everyone (as a
recent security fix that rebooted half of the computer around the world).
It was bad design, and it was fixed with an optional script that you can run
if it really bothers you.

It's similar to telling your router/firewall not to respond to ping
requests.  Some people don't want to let the world know that there is a
computer at that ip.  Some people would rather be able to ping themselves
from the outside, or don't care.  It's not a major security issue.

Russ