I called New Atlanta and asked about this.  I was told that this current
license change was just a 'clarification' of what was always their intent.

New Atlanta is certainly free to change the license for BD as they wish, I
would just prefer they said that was what they were doing.  Something like "Hey
guys, we are changing the license, but you can still use the previous version
according to its license if you wish."

When we first downloaded BD I filled out a questionaire and discussed with one
of their sales people the uses we anticipated for the free version and that was
fine (basically internal reporting).  Now those same purposes (using them in a
corporate environment) is not OK given the new license changes.  I am slightly
miffed as I feel like we were encouraged to use BD, but now New Atlanta's
intent has changed (bait and switch).  If they were up front about it, I would
just compare BD and CF and decide which to buy, but I have a funny feeling
about how this has played out and will probably just switch to CF or PHP.

In addition to the wording of the license in previous versions, here are some
other citations that I think indicate that this is a change and not a
'clarification':

This article mentions that you are free to deploy it for production purposes
(although it mentions you should read the license when downloading):

http://cfdj.sys-con.com/read/42081.htm

Here is a mention of BD being free for production use in Charlie Arendt's blog:

http://bluedragon.blog-city.com/cfml_compatibility_and_why_bluedragon.htm

And here is another of Charlie's blog entries where he says it is free for your
own organization's applications:

http://bluedragon.blog-city.com/bluedragon_61_free_server_now_featurepacked.htm

Another blog entry where it is mentioned as free for development and deployment:

http://bluedragon.blog-city.com/faq_how_much_does_bluedragon_cost.htm

Too bad.  I think the CFML world lost something here.

David