Hi Chris,

cpn> the way CFMX handles a file usually depends on teh BOM (Byte Order Mark).
It is
cpn> a tiny signature set by the editor, that tells CF whether the file is
encoded
cpn> in UTF-8, ISO-something, cp1252, etc.
cpn> First, make sure that your editor is saving the file as UTF-8 encoded.
(E.g. in
cpn> Eclipse go to File - Properties - Text file encoding and set it to UTF-8
cpn> (not(!) inherited).

I'm aware of that and as Homesite+ has always had problems with UTF-8
encoded files I'm still using ISO.

For sure that's probably the most useful and approach.

cpn> Then, in your Application.cfm you should make sure form and url variables
are
cpn> seen as UTF-8:
cpn> <cfset setEncoding("url", "utf-8")>
cpn> <cfset setEncoding("form", "utf-8")>

Already done this for ISO-8859-1 as CFMX defaults to UTF-8 after
installtions. As there's absolutly no need for i18n on this project
(there's really no circumstance that another encoding than latin-1
will be used) this is realized with our local encoding.

cpn> There still may be problems with umlauts in cfmail. To resolve those, use
the
cpn> 'charset="utf-8"' attribute in cfmail tag.

There will surely arise a problem with a few - but still used - older
email clients not being able to parse UTF8-encoded mails. But that's
another story.

cpn> Best,

cpn> Chris

Even though you're absolutly right with what you explained and it
should be some kind of best practice for a lot (almost all) of
projects I'm still wondering why suddenly this curious behaviour
occurde. Normally a page originally delivered (or parsed by CF) in
UTF-8 and afterwards rendered false by the UA shows really garbled
chars instead of real questionmarks.

But for now it seems to work as already replied to James by using
LSDateFormat and leaving out the SetLocale().

Thanks
Patric

--
Patric Stumpe