> I received the following email from our hosting company. I
> have never heard of this before. Has any one? They actually
> disabled our account based on this.
> At work I am running one access database with 750MB (I know,
> but...) without any issues. They are claiming that it is
> using too much CPU resources and causing "CF ISSUES".
> Thanks.
>
> Hello ,
> Our level two engineers have reviewed your database
> (xxxx.mdb) which now stands at 19.5MB which is too large.
> Our System Administrators have requested that you please
> reduce your database down to 7MB or less, based on the
> recommendations from Macromedia and Microsoft. In working
> with them to improve the stability and performance of our
> ColdFusion servers, they have informed us that MS Access
> databases over 7MB cause the majority of the issue we see,
> and Macromedia will no longer assist us in troubleshooting
> issues when the size is large then 7MB. If you cannot compact
> the database, we would ask that you move this database to MS
> SQL, where large databases will not cause performance issues
> for other users on your shared server.

I've worked with Access databases around 2 GB (!) before. Access databases
can be quite large and still work well. However, there are some problems
with using Access as a database for a web application, and those problems
may intensify as your database size increases.

One big problem with Access is that databases don't shrink as data is
deleted, and there's nothing in Access equivalent to the database/file
shrinking options that, for example, MS SQL Server has. So, you might end up
with a very large, very sparse database file with a few hundred rows of
actual data. Using Access as a storage location for CF Client variables will
often result in this problem.

A bigger problem than sheer file size with Access is how it handles
concurrency - or doesn't handle it, to be more precise. Locks are placed on
tables in Access, so if you have a large Access table that everyone needs to
read, and someone's writing to it, everyone gets to wait.

In the end, I think that your hosting company's requirement is probably a
good general rule, especially in a shared server environment. It might be
the case that your 750MB file works well enough for you, but if everyone on
that server did the same thing ...

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/