> I do still think it's a bit of a cheek to charge the
> equivalent of a full app suite (or a new PC for that matter)
> for a plugin - no matter how wonderful it is. As to whether
> it would save me time/money thats a moot point.  Flex 2 is
> not the only option out there, and wearing either of my hats
> (as an independent developer or as a member of a large dev
> team working for a not for profit) $1000 is a lot to spend
> per seat - especially as we would probably need the server
> as well.

I don't really understand why it matters whether it's a plugin or a "full
app suite". What matters to me is what it allows you to do. I'd much rather
pay $1000 for FlexBuilder as a plugin to Eclipse, which is somewhat of a
known quantity, than have Adobe spend time and developer resources to build
an entire IDE from scratch. They'd have to charge more for it just to cover
their costs, and it probably wouldn't be nearly as good. And again, the only
thing that should matter is whether it helps you deliver better applications
faster, at least enough to offset the per-seat cost!

And yes, Flex 2 is not the only option out there. But it's fundamentally
different from the other options that are available. Based on what I've seen
so far, I think it's quite a bit better than the other options. In my
opinion, AJAX is hardly comparable to Flex 2 - and I've been working with
AJAX (and AJAXish predecessor) applications for a long, long time. You don't
need to listen to me, though. Download the open beta and see for yourself!

> I am interested in Flex2, I am also interested in Ajax and
> several other options - money will be a big part of any
> decisions made. To set up 2 servers and 12 developers to use
> Flex might be a very significant outlay.

According to my understanding, you don't necessarily have to purchase any
server component at all. You can use Flex to talk to CF applications, web
services, etc. without any server component. The optional server component
is very impressive, though - it provides some very useful pieces of
functionality, like the ability to tie into JMS very easily. As for your
not-for-profit development team, Adobe may offer alternative pricing for
different sorts of organizations, so you may be able to get it cheaper than
I can.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/