Let me give you my own personal experience, it might help.

6 years ago, I was the manager of a small (5 person) web design group
at a medium-sized software company.  At the time, I had about equal
experience with ASP and CF.

My team was great -- young, enthusiastic, willing to learn...but all
they knew was HTML (except for one, who could modify a .pl mailer
script and that was about it).  The challenge?  I was tasked with
converting our then-antiquated web site from static HTML to something
dynamic and hopefully content-managed.

I discussed the chellenges facing us with my team, and presented the
viable options - jsp, php, asp, cf.  We looked at code examples from
each together and narrowed the pack down to ASP (because of its market
relevance) and CF (because it was familiar to a person who knew HTML
with an understanding of the words "if" and "else" :)

I took my two most enthusiastic and promising individuals and gave
them a one-day coding challenge; I would create a database, they would
need to create interfaces that would insert, update, delete, and
display that data.  One would use ASP, the other would use CF.  For
the record, I put the person who was probably the smarter of the two
on the ASP project, and I bought each of them a good book to study the
night before so they could have some familiarity.

We started at 9AM the next day.  The person who was using CF finished
the task in three hours; the person who was using ASP was still
working on it at 4:30PM.  The next day, ASP guy came in and said
"screw it, I want to try this with CF".  He completed the task in
about 2.5 hours.  As a group, we made the decision then and there to
go with CF.

Over the next several weeks, I held daily brown bag lunch sessions
where we sat in a conference room and I went over best practices, some
SQL basics, and went into some CF intricacies.  Within a couple of
months, I felt that the entire team was proficient in CF, with one or
two showing true talent.  We never looked back from there.

Pete