> The example I played with was the simple login using the
> english and Thi language, but when I try to create the
> same resource bundle files for en_MX or fr_FR nothing
> happens because I'm not understanding how the Thi
> language ANSI chars were generated.

It's hard to understand what you mean by "nothing happens" without
more information... My understanding is that the unicode characters
used by the resource bundles Paul recommends (for performance reasons,
because it's silly to convert everything from ASCII when ColdFusion
uses UTF-8 natively by default (and UCS2 underneath)). So the resource
bundles should just be created as UTF-8 files. Although you might be
having a problem with an editor which either doesn't support or isn't
configured to save files in UTF-8, my first guess from your describing
that "nothing happens" would be that your problem isn't stemming from
the character set but rather from some other source such as an
incorrect file path.

> Do you have to translate everything in the resource
> bundles prior to displaying them?  Doesn't this mean
> you could simply type it out in spanish or french on
> the page, or do we use resource bundles for the ANSI
> chars that use symbols only....

.... Are you thinking that simply naming the file differently is going
to translate the text? Resource bundles don't perform any translation
for you, they only store the translations you have. Each language that
you need to provide text for requires its own resource bundle. Yes,
this does mean you could type ito ut in spanish or french on the page.
The reason why you don't want to do that is because the page is going
to contain html and other formatting which is not related to the text.
The resource bundle allows you to isolate the text for a single
language into a specific location and then merge that with your
format. Think of it like an old-fashioned mail merge, you know, the
kind we used to do in Word and WordPerfect. :) Except instead of
replacing the person's name in a letter, you're leaving the name alone
and replacing the remaining text to match their preferred language.

hth

s. isaac dealey     434.293.6201
new epoch : isn't it time for a change?

add features without fixtures with