I thought that same way until I really got into creating some applications
with it.  To me it's unbelievable how much stuff is available in that
framework.  I think where most people get hung up is on comparing Rails to
CF.  Rails is a framework that provides a lot of functionality for you.
Ruby, the underlying language would be the comparison to CF.  In my opinion,
Ruby comes out stronger because it's not only a web app language, it's
available straight from the command prompt if you like.  Plus, it's not
stuck in the middle like CF is, in that CF is a loosely typed language built
on top of a strictly typed language which causes some pain.  Ruby is built
ground up as an object language for which each object has standard methods
of to_i, to_s, etc.

One thing I will say is that in learning Rails, my CF programming quality
has definitely increased.  Heck even my javascript programming quality has
increased.