From: "Brian bouldernet" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "CF-Talk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, October 11, 2000 12:03
Subject: Developer Directory?

> We've created a directory of about 1200 developers from talk graoups,
> confrences, and what not, does anyone see any major issues emailing everyone
> to ask to modify a profile we have setup and make live on a site that rates
> each one based on customer satisifaction and developer strengths like
> Spectra, CF, Database skills. All on a opt in procedure currently.

How did you develop the list?

If it was generated by listee initiative (i.e. those on the list
decided to join it without any action on your part other than to
host the list), then the appropriateness of subsequent emails would
be dependent on the terms agreed to when the individual joined.
You still need to provide an easy way for individuals to delete
their listings and to stop any further emails.

If you generated your list without any pariticpation by those
on the list (i.e. skimmed elists, newsgroups, webpages, handed
out forms at conventions, etc.) then it would be inappropriate
to "cold email" people about your service.

It's a problem to generate lists of people you want to email,
but spam is a major net.issue and you probably will lose
your accounts/connectivity/routing/etc. if you indulge.
Getting people to be aware of your service will be hard
enough without compounding your problems by doing
anything that smacks of spam.

I think a more appropriate forum is news.admin.net-abuse.email
or the MAPS people at www.mail-abuse.org  There *are* people
at both locatiosn who would be glad to help you solve your
primary problem (and will definitely solve any secondary
self-inflicted problems).

Pan