> I have kind of a stupid question. Are people using these VM
> servers for production use? I've heard of people buying one
> top of the line piece of hardware and run multiple production
> servers on it using VM. This just scares me because it seems
> like one more point of possible failure, possible performance
> losses, etc. Am I just being antsy of a new thing or is this
> really not a good practice for production? I can definitely
> see the value in development environments but I'm not sure
> about production. Do the VMs have much overhead to them? Are
> there security and/or performance concerns that need to be
> taken into consideration?

VMware ESX is all about production. It lets you consolidate a bunch of
(generally less reliable) little dedicated server boxes with a few
high-availability big boxes. This approach is used in a lot of enterprise
environments nowadays, to the point where I have to ask clients whether I'm
working in a VM or an actual server.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/