I agree with this. However, if a decent host isn't possible for some
reason, an alternative is to do what Ray Camden now does with BlogCFC
and other apps.

1) Give the XML config file a .cfm extension so it becomes
config.xml.cfm or whatever
2) In the folder in which the XML file sits, use an Application.cfm
that contains this:

<cfif listlast(cgi.script_name, "/") is "config.xml.cfm">
        <cfabort>
</cfif>

This means that when you read the file with XMLParse() all is ok but
anyone browsing directly to the file sees nothing because the request
is aborted.

The only thing I would personally do different than Ray is to use
GetFileFromPath(cgi.script_name) instead of listlast(cgi.script_name,
"/")  but it's the same thing.